The service you are requesting requires authentication.
Congestion Charge - Area C
The access to the historical center of Milan is limited by the Congestion Charge area (Area C) on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 7.30 to 19.30, and Thursday from 7.30 to 18. To get into “Area C” you must activate an entrance ticket of 5 euro.
“Area C”, the restricted traffic zone in the center of Milan, is bounded by “Cerchia dei Bastioni”. The access points are 43, including 7 for exclusive use of public transport, and are monitored by cameras.
To enter in “Area C” you must purchase and activate an entrance ticket. The ticket worth 5 euro can be purchased at the parking meters, newsagents, tobacconists, ATM points (Milan Transport Company), at the ATMs of Intesa Sanpaolo, online on this site (www.areac.it) in “Servizi Online” (online services), or calling the call center at
the number + 39.02.48684001 and in conventioned garages.
The ticket must be activated no later than midnight of the next day access, by sending an SMS message, calling the Call center, by visiting the website www.areac.it or in the municipal offices. There is an exception for the coupon purchased in garages that must be activated by midnight of the same day in which you made the access.
Motorcycles and scooters, electric vehicles and, until the end of the experimental time, hybrid vehicles, as well as natural gas, LPG and bi-fuel vehicles are exempted from payment. Exemption is also provided for those vehicles transporting people with disabilities, subjected to life-saving treatments or for those who must go the first aid.
During the activation time, the access in “Area C” is forbidden to “Euro 0” petrol vehicles and to “Euro 0, 1, 2, 3” diesel vehicles with a length of more than 7.5 meters.
“Euro 3” diesel vehicles belonging to residents, vehicles for the transportation of goods for public utilities and for the residences and tour buses can access up to the end of the experimental time.
For more information: call the following number: 02 02 02
Improving the life conditions of those who live, work, study and visit the city is the goal of the Congestion Charge - Area C. Its objectives are:
- Decreasing road traffic in “Cerchia dei Bastioni” (city centre).
- Improving public transport networks.
- Raising funds for soft mobility infrastructures : cycle lanes, pedestrian zones, 30kph zones.
- Improving the quality of life by reducing the number of accidents, uncontrolled parking, noise and air pollution.
Choosing public transport as opposed to private cars makes traffic more smooth-flowing which in turn increases public transport frequency. Decreasing the number of circulating cars will result in reduced polluting emissions.
The limited traffic area, Cerchia dei Bastioni, is the area with the best public transport system in Italy with its 15 bus routes (37, 43, 50, 54, 57, 58, 60, 61, 67, 70, 73, 74, 77, 84, 94) 11 street-car lines (1, 2, 3, 4, 12, 14, 15, 16, 23, 24, 27) and 3 underground lines (M1, M2 e M3). This system will be further strengthened when Area C comes into effect.
Click here to download public transport maps: Mappa Centrocittà e Mappa della Rete metropolitana .
For your journey planner and further information please click here: calcola il percorso con GIROMILANO.
Area C, which coincides with the limited traffic area Cerchia dei Bastioni, has 43 access points electronically monitored by surveillance cameras. 7 out of these 43 access points are limited to public transport vehicles.
The surveillance cameras detect the entering subject and transmit the data collected to a computer which recognizes the vehicles, their classification (residents, duty vehicles, free access ones) and the corresponding due charge.
The access to Area C does not allow the use of fast-track lanes.
See access points to Cerchia dei Bastioni
Each ticket to enter “Area C” has daily time. The payment of an entrance covers all accesses made by the same vehicle during that day.
There are six types of entrance tickets:
- Daily: 5 euro
- Daily " resident vehicle": 2 euro (after registration)
- Daily " resident vehicle ": 3 euro (after registration)
- Daily "service vehicle": 5 euro (only after registration and it can be bought only at the parking meters)
- Multiple daily: 30 and 60 euro, with the credit decreasing automatically (for even non-consecutive days)
- In the garages of the center participating to the initiative: 13 euro for the coupon “Area C” + 4 hours of parking (not divisible). After the fourth hour, the cost does not exceed 2 euro per hour (even for cars exempted from payment of Area C).
The coupon must be activated the same day or no later than midnight of the next day access. Pay attention, the coupons at a reduced fee, issued by the conventioned garages, must be activated by midnight on the same day that you make the access. Moreover, activating the coupons at the same day, the access will not be charged to those who have active mode Telepass and RID (permanent direct debit).
- Debit account or debit credit card through Telepass (only for vehicles registered in Italy)
- By cash: at retailers and at the parking meters
- By credit card: at the parking meters, on the website, calling the call center, at Intesa San Paolo counters
- By PagoBancomat: at the parking meters, at Intesa San Paolo counters (see the parking meters list in the section “attached”)
- Garages participating to the initiative: the mode of payment depends on the structure
- debit account via bank RID (permanent direct debit), (if you have requested activation by September 14, 2012)
To activate the ticket you must associate the pin identifier of admission ticket to a plate using one of these methods:
- SMS message to 339.994.0437 (all day) with the text "PIN.plate”
- Call center: + 39.02.48684001
- On this website under the “Servizi online” section
- Via Friuli 30, from Monday to Friday from 8.00 to 16.00
- Only residents: via Beccaria 19 - ground floor, from Monday to Friday from 9.00 to 12.30 and from 14.00 to 16.00