Palazzo Marino - Museum

Palazzo Marino - Museum

Palazzo Marino

Palazzo Marino is Milan’s city hall since 1861.

The project for the building was created by architect Galeazzo Alessi from Perugia in 1558.

The name of the building is due to Tommaso Marino, a rich Genoan merchant who became wealthy in Milan and wished to make it his private home. 

The construction was interrupted in 1570 when Alessi left, it was then completed at the end of the 19th century by architect Luca Beltrami.

Guided Tours

visite guidate Palazzo Marino


From Monday to Friday, qualified staff attend visitors through the Palace.
Those guided tours are free of charge, booking is mandatory



Rooms you can visit

Sala delle Tempere
Can be found at the entrance of the building.  A “trompe l’oeil” panel of wall paper simulates the ancient Cordovan  leather with a counterfeit marble baseboard. Four  great seventeenth century paintings coming  from Villa Litta Modigliani depicting  life scenes of the saints Pietro and Paul, by an unknown painter maybe from Rome.

Sala degli Arazzi
In this room, there are three ancient tapestries depicting scenes of Marco Aurelio’s life. On a  fourth one, a mythological theme: the heroes Perseo and Bellerofonte fighting  wild beasts.  These are prestigious tapestries weaved in a Brussels workshop between the sixteenth and the seventeenth century.

Sala della Trinità
Probably this room was originally the ancient oratory, on the walls  there are torn frescoes  from the church of San Vito in Pasquirolo  conferred to Giovan Mauro della Rovere, known as the Fiammenghino. Moreover, a detached fresco from the church of San Vincenzino: San Vincenzo dressed as deacon and the iconography of the millstone wheel representing his martyrdom made by Giovanni da Lomazzo.

Sala della Resurrezione
Here also there are frescos by Giovanni da Lomazzo coming from the Church of San Vincenzino. One represents San Lorenzo with the gridiron  and several others are dedicated to the life of Christ : on the road to Calvary, Entombment of Christ, the descent of Christ to the limbo.
Inside a false architectural framework there is Noli me tangere and Adoration of the Child which are probably even  more ancient and could possibly belong to the circle of Bergognone.

Sala Alessi
This is the great reception hall. It is called Alessi in honor of the architect who created the project for the entire building. Under the cornice twelve frescos can be seen such as the nine Muses, the gods Apollo, Bacco and Mercurio. Two big  busts of Marte and Minerva stand out on the portals and several earthenware bas-reliefs illustrate mythological scenes. The big vault with its decorations is not the original one since it has been rebuilt following the bombardments during the war in 1943.

Sala dell’Urbanistica
On the walls of this room there are nineteenth-century prints showing the most important and significant sites in the city. On the portals, the portraits of four architects who conceived relevant buildings in the city: Alessi, Piermarini, Richino and Pellegrino.

Sala Gialla
It is called yellow room because of the damask that covers its walls. Furnishings are highly impressive. Besides four antique portraits, there is a huge wall mirror gilded in carved wood nineteeth century neo-Baroque style with a marble plane and a Baroque structure. An enormous crystal of Bohemia chandelier and an eighteenth century French clock.

Sala  Marra o Verde
This room is named after a city council President who passed away when he was only 43 years old.   Magnificent furnishings make this room a prestigious one; it is also the most renowned room in Palazzo Marino because it is the birthplace  of Marianna de Leyva, better known as the Monaca di Monza.

Sala del Consiglio Comunale
The Council meeting room is composed of three sections: the semi cycle, the press gallery and the public area.   A very large painting of Sant’Ambrogio riding a horse sticks out on the wall. It was created in 1591 by the manneristic artist Ambrogio Figino.

Il Cortile d’onore
The second world war’s bombing spared the courtyard therefore it is still the original sixteenth century’s construction. It is a two level courtyard profusely decorated in typical manneristic style. The bas-reliefs represent the twelve labours of Hercules and the Metamorphosis of the Gods of Ovidio’s poem.

Il Loggiato
The magnificent staircase designed by Luca Beltrami leads to the first floor where the bust of the count Antonio Beretta , the first mayor of the city, is placed in a recess. Inside the great loggia there are the busts of all former mayors of Milan.

La sala dell’Orologio
This is the last room. An elegant reception hall with furnishings of the Renaissance and fourteen original seventeenth-century paintings by famous artists of the time.

Kids, the app for young visitors

palazzo marino kids app ios

Palazzo Marino Kids is an interactive tour in the Palace now hosting the Milanese City Council.

The app can be used as a book and discloses all the Palace secrets: when was it built? By whom? What are the most interesting rooms and the stories inside them? And then: do you know how the City Council works? What’s the Mayor job? How does the City Council make important decisions about the city?

Fun interactive features for learning and having fun:
- Listen to the voices of the owner and of the architects
- Design your own architectural decoration for the courtyard
- Find out more about the city gates!
- Vote a funny motion in the City Council

Watch demo in this page and download iOS or Android version.