Environmental permits

Environmental authorizations fall into the following types:

  • Integrated Environmental Authorizations - AIA
  • Single Environmental Authorizations - AUA
  • Single Authorization for New Waste Disposal and Recovery Plants

It is the authorization that some companies need to comply with the principles of Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (IPPC) dictated by the European community since 1996.

In summary, the AIA is necessary for the following categories of activities and plants:

 organisers' activities

  • energy activities
  • production and processing of metals
  • mineral products industry
  • chemical industry
  • waste management
  • other activities: paper mills, textile industry, tanneries, slaughterhouses, livestock farms with a certain production capacity


  • crude oil refineries and gasification and liquefaction plants of at least 500 t.
  • thermal power plants
  • steel mills
  • chemical plants.

In the case of non-substantial changes and change of manager it is sufficient to notify the Competent Authority which can update AIA.

What is the AUA for?
The AUA is requested for plants managed by small and medium-sized enterprises that are not subject to AIA for at least the following qualifications:

  • authorization for discharges referred to in Chapter II of Title IV of Part Three of Legislative Decree 152/2006
  • agronomic use of livestock effluents, vegetation water from oil mills and waste water from companies located there
  • authorization for emissions into the atmosphere pursuant to art. 269 ​​Legislative Decree 152/2006
  • general authorization referred to in art. 272 Legislative Decree 152/2006 (Plants and Activities in derogation)
  • communication or authorization pursuant to 447/1995
  • authorization to use sludge deriving from the purification process in agriculture - see 99/1992
  • communication regarding waste pursuant to art. 215 (Self-disposal) 216 (Recovery Operations) Legislative Decree 152/2006.

How to request the AUA
The AUA request must be submitted to One-Stop Shop for Productive Activities of the Municipality of Milan (SUAP) accompanied by documentation, declarations and certificates.
The SUAP then transmits it to the Competent Authority and to the subjects competent in environmental matters.

The Competent Authority for AUAs is the Metropolitan City or a different authority indicated by regional legislation.

Persons who intend to build and manage new waste disposal and recovery plants, including dangerous ones, must request the Single Authorization for New Waste Disposal and Recovery Plants from the Region.

The following must be attached to the application:

  • the final project
  • the technical documentation required for the implementation of the intervention by the provisions on urban planning, environmental protection, health and safety at work and public hygiene.

The authorization requested with the ordinary procedure also incorporates the building authorizations, given in the Services Conference to which the Municipality is invited.

The Competent Authority can be the State, the Region or the Metropolitan City.

The Municipality is called upon at the Services Conference to express its opinion as the body on which the project is based and as an expert in environmental matters for its area.

Updated: 20/01/2022